Friday, March 11, 2011

How to Get a [Dream] Job in Hollywood


So I got a job offer from my dream company yesterday. I cannot tell you how long I've been waiting and hoping for something like this to fall in my lap....and finally it did.

Here's how you land a job in this business:

August - Volunteered to help a friend, who was a Producer's Assistant, during a pickup weekend by standing in as a hand model (please see my famous hands in Alloy's "Hollywood is Like High School")....got to know Producer.

October - Get hired by said Alloy Producer to act as Script Supervisor on reality Alloy's webseries, "Casting Call." Ended up playing a bunch of different roles--helping with interview questions, actually interviewing girls, jogging down judges notes to be re-hashed later, etc). While at lunch, Producer found out I was also interested in Directing and Producing.

November - Producer asks me to come onto their next project as Script Supervisor during production, but to also act as Director's Assistant beforehand (since he he previously found out I was interested in that kind of thing). I accept.

January - During Pre-Production, I spent a lot of time getting to know Alloy employees and execs during meetings, script notes sessions, etc.

February - "Talent" shoot

March - Friend at UTA sends me an ad from Alloy looking for an Assistant Talent Coordinator....I call up Producer who finds out who at the company to directly forward my resume, another Alloy friend I met on set hand-delivers my resume to the stack. Producer I'd worked with calls up the head of the department and gives him glittering review of me. Phone interview goes well, in-person interview is even better....and what do you know, a job!

So that's how it works. It takes a while for something great to land in your lap. But by golly, it sure does happen.

Good things happen to those who work hard and truly want them.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You prove how taking the time to help friends and make friends/connections can do so much for someone in this industry. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete