Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Entertainment: An Industry Run on Slave Labor

So I got a PA job, unfortunately it isn't paying. I am working on a Sci-Fi movie that is about to go into production. This week we are in pre-production and I'm just stepping in where ever I can help. It hasn't been too hectic yet.

I find it very interesting that so much of the film industry seems to rely on slave labor! What baffles my mind is how these people pay their bills! Not everyone is lucky enough to have mom or dad there to help them. Luckily, my parents are pretty supportive and understanding...but I don't want to leech off of them because of my pride! I am hard-working and incredibly passionate and smart. I feel that the work I do is worthy of pay. I look around at some of the people being paid and they don't seem any more capable than I am. I guess I just don't understand how this is legal and okay!

Not that I am not learning a lot, because I am. I have been having fun too, which is important. I feel like because its such a low budget project, I'm not getting paid, but I also get to do a lot of things that on a bigger production I wouldn't get to do. I was doing budget stuff today and invoices and casting. I feel like I'm doing something worthwhile, which is always nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment